Wednesday, September 27, 2006

How Many Teeth?

Today, I had my 18-month check-up. I was very brave and had three shots which I only cried over for just a few minutes. I went with just Mommy while Jonah and Daddy stayed home. The doctor was very nice (as he always is) and he checked my height, weight.. you know, the normal stuff. But he also showed Mommy something that she didn't even know! I have FOUR teeth....not two. You see, I haven't been letting Mommy into my mouth this last week because I was sick and had a huge fever from a virus. It ends up not only was I sick but I was also growing two molar teeth as well. They must have popped through last week because she is positive they weren't there the week before that! So mystery solved into my huge meltdown and crankiness last week. I have molars!

The rest of the check-up went fairly routine. I'm an applicant again for the RSV shots. For those who don't know, RSV is a very contagious and dangerous virus that kids get which can develop into pnumonia. For normal kids, they can pretty much ride it out with perhaps a small hospital visit. In my case, it would be very, very bad because of my heart and for kids with my kind of heart condition, it can be fatal. The RSV/Synergis shots are outrageously expensive ($2000 a shot ~ once a month for 6 months) so you have to apply for them through the insurance companies. We are pretty confident I'll get approved again this year.

I also get to have a flu shot but I will get mine through the doctor and not a clinic like most people. Clinics have lots of people waiting in lobbies and lines which would expose me to lots of germs. But not me, I get a ticket to go to the front of the line. I guess there are some advantages to having a heart condition. I'll get that shot next month in my doctor's office.

Other than all that, I'm in pretty good health. I flirted with the nurses, my doctor bought one of my calendars, and I got three very cool band-aids to celebrate my immunizations. The doctor's summary: "I am one great little man." I could have told him that!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh you melt my heart. You poor little guy..2 more teeth no wonder you were mr. cranky pants last week..I am glad you are on the mend and I will be saying prayers that you are in the front of the line for both of your shots you need. Love to you and your family

sarah and the troops said...

Oh Dylan, you are such a brave little man. 3 shots are not fun. And 2 molars, wow.........yes that would explain why you had a cranky week last week. We are all glad you are feeling better, so now we have to set up a time to play. Ask Mommy to call me when she gets a chance.
Love you,